Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lakeshore Poem Response

Lakeshore is an interesting and symbolic poem to me in many ways. I immediately chose to respond to this poem because the title grasped my attention since I once lived on Lakeshore Road for four years and had an opportunity to experience living by the lake. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it because of the poet’s use of in-depth descriptions of Lakeshore itself. The first few lines of the poem captured my attention to keep on reading. The lines which F.R Scott stated in the poem were described such that “The Lake is sharp along the shore trimming the bevelled edge of land”. These lines provided me with flashbacks to my past when I used to live on Lakeshore Road alongside the Lake. His choice of words being complicated and thought-provoking, demonstrated the vast intricateness of Lakeshore. F.R Scott’s use of incorporating his own feeling or the use of ‘I’ within the poem added a more meaningful and personal touch. In my opinion, I feel as if it provides any reader a chance to read the poem and reflect and understand it in the point of view of the poet himself. Another theme explained throughout the poem is the descriptions of the shoreline, stones, waves, water, swimmers, and animals. This brings good imagery to the reader’s mind. Therefore, with the ‘techniques’ used throughout this poem, Lakeshore, any reader would be interested in trying to fathom the poet’s views on their topics of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment